June 10 @ 8:00 am - June 11 @ 4:00 pm
TO REGISTER contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-709-6545 ext. 32
Rookie Riders Program Overview
Rookie Riders is a children’s equestrian LTAD program aimed at children in the Fundamentals (ages 6-9) and Learn to Train (ages 8-12) stages.
The program is delivered in 12 lessons, and each lesson is comprised of:
- a game
- a set of progressive fundamentals (basic gymnastic) activities, and
- a variation of the fundamentals activities on a “barrel horse”
Each game/gym activity progression is designed to teach an equestrian skill related to balance, co-ordination, flexibility and confidence with activities off the ground.
The program is designed to be delivered in two stages – the first teaching the “unmounted” skills, and then ultimately referring kids to an equestrian riding facility where they will learn to apply those skills to horseback riding.
A full equipment package is available through Ontario Equestrian, and consists of:
- a Rookie Riders barrel
- an assembly of legs that attach to and stabilize the barrel off the ground
- a carpet, saddle pad and surcingle (a strap around the barrel with handles for children to hold when they’re on the barrel)
- cones, bean bags and a ball for the games, and
- Posters illustrating the gym movements
The training offered, will provide the participants with all of the necessary resource material, including certificates of progress, completion and parent handouts explaining the program.