- This event has passed.
March 23 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$100.00
Become a Rookie Riders Instructor Today!
Rookie Riders provides an opportunity for children to experience the joy of equestrian sport in a fun-filled program.
The curriculum for Rookie Riders Instructor Training 1 includes options for delivering the program without a horse. It includes:
- Horse inspired activities and games to develop fundamental movement skills and knowledge about how to interact with and move safely around horses
- Ground-based skills that help develop strength, posture and body awareness, and specific movement skills to be able to safely mount and dismount a horse
- A “barrel horse” where skills can be specifically taught and practiced
- An activity bank and sample lesson plan that helps students progress systematically from ground-based skills to mounted skills.
The lead instructor for any Rookie Riders session must:
- Always be present
- Hold an Equestrian Canada Registered or Licensed Coach Status
- Hold an active NCCP Certification (any sport), or be a qualified physical education teacher in addition to having completed the Rookie Riders Instructor Training.
To assist Instructors with delivering the Rookie Riders Program participants must:
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Complete the Rookie Riders 1 Instructor Training
- Sign the Equestrian Canada Coaching Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics
- Have their Learn to Ride English Level 6 or Western Level 4 if offering a Rookie Riders program that includes riding
- Hold a Coach in Training or Registered Coach Status
*This course is a prerequisite for Rookie Riders Instructor Training 2, which includes training for mounted skills on a horse.
How to Register:
- Click REGISTER HERE to take you to the MyEC homepage
- Once logged on to MyEC, scroll down and click the ECampus
- This will put you on the ECampus homepage. Click “Catalog” on the top menu bar, and then “Live Training” in the drop-down menu. This will list all the courses currently open for registration.
*Note: If you haven’t set up your MyEC account yet, no problem! Follow the prompts on the MyEC home page to get started. You can set up a free account without having to purchase an EC Sport License.