Events for May 24, 2022
Welcome to Rookie Riders!
All participants must hold a current Equestrian Canada Coach Status.
Rookie Riders provides an opportunity for children to experience the joy of equestrian sport in a fun-filled program. The program curriculum is specifically designed to create an environment that promotes the development of physical literacy, with a specific emphasis on the fundamental movement skills applicable to all sports and a foundation of knowledge and skills to be able to ride a horse. The program is specifically designed to learn all the skills necessary to safely mount and dismount a horse, before being introduced to a horse for the first time.
The curriculum for Rookie Riders Instructor Training 1 includes options for delivering the program without a horse. It includes:
- Horse inspired activities and games to develop fundamental movement skills and knowledge about how to interact with and move safely around horses
- Ground-based skills that help develop strength, posture and body awareness, and specific movement skills to be able to safely mount and dismount a horse • A “barrel horse” where skills can be specifically taught and practiced
- An activity bank and sample lesson plan that helps students progress systematically from ground-based skills to mounted skills
- Watch the video: https://youtu.be/-XaPUI7CmlI
The instructor responsible for any Rookie Riders session must always be present, hold an Equestrian Canada Registered or Licensed Coach Status and an active NCCP Certification (any sport), or be a qualified physical education teacher, in addition to having completed the Rookie Riders 1 instructor training.
For those wishing to assist Instructors with delivering the Rookie Riders Program they must:
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Complete the Rookie Riders 1 Instructor Training
- Sign the Equestrian Canada Coaching Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics
- Have their Learn to Ride English Level 6 or Western Level 4 if offering a Rookie Riders program that includes riding
- Hold a Coach in Training or Registered Coach Status