Owners and trainers whose horses can consistently jump a 110 cm course are encouraged to apply now for the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games equestrian phase of the modern pentathlon competition. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to showcase the exceptional quality of your horses and trainers, and complement the world-class athletes competing next summer.
Equestrian Phase of the Modern Pentathlon
Modern pentathlon will be a feature competition at the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House in July 2015. For the Equestrian phase of the Toronto 2015 Modern Pentathlon competition, Pentathletes ride an unfamiliar horse (drawn by lot) over a jumper course of 350 – 450m length consisting of 12 obstacles, including a combination of two elements (a double) and another of three elements (a triple) at a maximum height of 120 cm.
Equestrian participation & Benefits and Compensation
- Up to $500 in prize money for competing in the Pentathlon Canada 2014 Fall Invitation Competition qualifying event.
- $200 participant award for competing in the Pentathlon Canada 2014 Canadian Championships qualifying event.
- $200 signing bonus if your horse is accepted to compete in the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.
- Your business information on Pentathlon Canada’s website.
- Official TORONTO 2015 certificate of participation.
- Insurance coverage for your horse while on the competition venue.
- Transportation costs to and from the venue will be compensated.
- Financial compensation (to be determined) for each day your horse participates in the equestrian phase of the TORONTO 2015 modern pentathlon competition as well as the jury ride.
- Once your horse is selected, TORONTO 2015 will provide a contract.
Registered businesses (horse owners) must attend one of the qualifying events below to be considered. If you cannot attend either event, TO2015 will schedule a time to see your horse after the two qualifying events or will ask you to send a brief video of your horse — only if more horses are required.
2014 Canadian Pentathlon Championships: August 1–3, 2014 Application deadline: July 25, 2014 REGISTRATION LINK: http://www.toronto2015.org/business/register-your-business
2014 Fall Invitation Pentathlon Competition: October 18, 2014 Application deadline: October 10, 2014 REGISTRATION LINK: http://www.toronto2015.org/business/register-your-business
- Stabling will be provided for the duration of the event.
- Bedding will be provided (bagged pine shavings).
- Feed and grain/other feed and supplements to be provided by owner/trainer.
- Tack and grooming kit will be provided by horse owner.
- Bridles/bits/martingales (no standing martingales permitted) and saddle to be provided by horse owner/trainer.
- A veterinarian and farrier will be on-site during the event.
- Experienced groomers and horse handlers will be assigned to each horse for the duration of the event or the horse owner may participate.
For more information, please contact James Rudolph, riding director for the modern pentathlon competition at Toronto 2015 or Linda Hale, member of the riding committee at modernpentathlon@toronto2015
Click HERE to apply to have your horse participate in the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.