The Equestrian Canada (EC), Learn to Ride programs are available in English and Western Disciplines. They begin for junior and senior riders, at Rider Level 1 introducing the basics of horsemanship and rider skills from the first experience to:
- English Rider Level 10 covers the basics of dressage and jumping, and;
- Intermediate Western Rider Levels covering speed and performance classes.
The Learn to Ride program is designed to be guided by a Certified Instructor or Coach, to ensure that the concepts are clearly understood before the rider progresses to more challenging levels. The program provides an opportunity for riders to progress, demonstrating their skills through a series of increasingly complex written tests, interviews, and under-saddle jump and flat tests.
To purchase the “Learn to Ride” handbooks, please click HERE
How to participate:
1. Join OE.
3. Determine the level you want to achieve. Start at level 1 and work your way through or “Challenge”. Challenging-a-Level.
4. Visit the Ontario Equestrian E-Store to purchase all Learn to Ride Manuals including the Stable Management book.
Contact a current and certified Equestrian Canada instructor/coach to begin training for the exams. Find a Certified Instructor/Coach.
6. When your instructor/coach feels you are ready, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a list of approved Learn to Ride Evaluators near you.
* Note: All Learn to Ride Evaluators must hold EC Licensed Coach Status.
7. Once an evaluation is scheduled, the application and an administration fee of $41.50 are submitted HERE. Once results are uploaded by your evaluator, you will receive a digital copy of your certificate along with a physical copy and badge mailed to you.
For EC Licensed & Certified Instructors/Coaches