Learn to Ride programs are available in English and Western Disciplines. They begin for junior and senior riders, at Rider Level 1 introducing the basics of horsemanship and rider skills from first experience to:
- English Rider Level 10 covering the basics of dressage and jumping, and;
- Intermediate Western Rider Levels covering speed and performance classes.
The Learn to Ride program is designed to be guided by a Certified Instructor or Coach, to ensure that the concepts are clearly understood before the rider progresses to more challenging levels. The program provides an opportunity for rider to progress, demonstrating their skills through a series of increasingly complex written tests, interviews and under-saddle jump and flat tests.
To purchase the “Learn to Ride” handbooks, please click HERE
How to participate:
1. Join OE
3. Determine the level you want to achieve. Start at level 1 and work your way through or “Challenge”. Challenging-a-Level.
4. Visit the Ontario Equestrian E-Store to purchase either the Learn to Ride English Manual(s) or Learn to Ride Western Manuals. You may also wish to purchase the Stable Management in Canada book.
Contact a current and certified Equestrian Canada instructor/coach to begin training for the exams. Click here to find a certified instructor/coach.
6. When your instructor/coach feels you are ready, they may be able to administer the exam to you if they have completed the necessary training or some exams require you to use a coach other than your regular coach. Contact email@example.com to receive a list of approved Learn to Ride Evaluators near you.
7. The completed exam and an administration fee of $25.00 is then submitted to the OE office by the evaluator
8. Your certificate and badge will be mailed to you after the OE office receives your completed exam and administration fee
9. You keep working towards the next Rider Level!
English Learn to Ride Program Documents
Western Learn to Ride Program Documents
For EC Certified Instructors/Coaches