Every year, hundreds of sanctioned competitions are held across the province. Ontario Equestrian sanctions competitions at the Equestrian Skills Development (ESD) level, Bronze and Silver levels for Hunter, Jumper and Dressage.
Gold level Hunter, Jumper and Dressage, as well as all Eventing competitions are sanctioned by Equestrian Canada.
Equestrian Skills Development (ESD)
Equestrian Skills Development competitions (ESD) are horse shows that are approved and sanctioned by Ontario Equestrian at an entry/schooling level.
ESD competitions are permitted to use Equestrian Canada “r” and “s” status judges for Hunter/Jumper, up to and including “Medium” status judges for Dressage and OE accredited officials. By using qualified officials, competitors can be sure they will receive the same quality of judging as when they compete at EC bronze or silver level competitions. All riders and horse owners are required to have (only) a valid Ontario Equestrian membership in order to compete at ESD competitions. This requirement guarantees all horses and riders are insured as a safety precaution.
Benefits of sanctioning your competition:
- Ontario Equestrian and Equestrian Canada proudly promote EC-sanctioned competitions on website event calendars.
- Ontario Equestrian provides organizers with support as needed prior to, during and following competitions. An Ontario Equestrian representative can be reached by phone or email during the week to answer any questions you may have. Organizers can also call Equestrian Canada’s competition hotline (613-287-1515 ext. 199) on the weekends during show season.
Sanctioning Information Packages
Equestrian Skills Development (ESD):
- ESD Show Sanctioning Requirements & General Guidelines
- ESD Competition Application Form
- ESD Competition Report Form
- ESD Exhibitor Report Form
- ESD Competition Modification Form
- Certificate of Insurance
- List of Provincial Officials