The Canadian Dressage, Reining, and Para-Dressage Team horses were presented for veterinary inspection on August 24 at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games 2014. All 12 horses were approved to compete in the first official day of competition on August 25.
The following riders will represent Canada in Dressage:
- Megan Lane of Loretto, ON and Caravella, her 13-year-old Dutch Warmblood mare.
- David Marcus of Campbellville, ON and Chrevi’s Capital, a 14-year-old Danish Warmblood gelding owned by Deborah Kinzinger-Miculinic.
- Karen Pavicic of Surrey, BC and Don Daiquiri, a 12-year-old Oldenburg gelding she co-owns with Jayne Essig.
- Belinda Trussell of Stouffville, ON and Anton, a 14-year-old Oldenburg gelding owned by Robyn Eames.
“All our horses looked great in the jog. They all jogged perfectly and we are really excited to move on to the next leg,” said Victoria Winter, Chef d’Equipe of the Canadian Dressage Team at the Games. “The horses have been schooling really well. We had a super training camp and they have all settled in well here. I think we are going to see some great results for Canada.”
Ready to compete for the Canadian Reining Team are:
- Lisa Coulter of Princeton, BC and A Smokin Whiz, a six-year-old Quarter Horse stallion owned by Bob Thompson.
- Josiane Gauthier, a Quebec native currently living in Lucama, NC, USA, and Ju Juzz Gunslinger, a 10-year-old Quarter Horse stallion owned by William M. Bradley.
- Matthew Hudson of Marieville, QC and Its All About Smart, a seven-year-old Quarter Horse stallion owned by Andre de Bellefeuille.
- Cody Sapergia, a Moose Jaw, SK native currently living in Austria, and Nu Chexomatic, a seven-year-old Quarter Horse stallion owned by Tina Künstner-Mantl and Jacpoint Quarters.
“It’s always very stressful to do the horse inspection, but we were ready. We are now preparing for the next phase and it is very exciting,” said Lyne Laforme, the Canadian Reining Team Chef d’Equipe.
Riding for Canada on the Para-Dressage Team is:
- Robyn Andrews from St. John’s NL and Fancianna, her 13-year-old Friesian Andalusian cross mare.
- Lauren Barwick from Aldergrove, BC and Off to Paris, a 13-year-old Oldenburg mare owned by Equine Canada.
- Ashley Gowanlock from Surrey, BC and Ferdonia 2, a 15-year-old Oldenburg mare owned by Lauren Barwick.
- Roberta Sheffield, a Canadian living in Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK and Bindro T, an eight-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding owned by Evelyn Little.
“We are very pleased to have successfully passed all of our horses at the horse inspection. I’d like to thank the Team Veterinarian Jennifer Miller, and all four grooms who did a fantastic job in preparing the horses,” said Elizabeth Quigg, Chef d’Equipe of the Canadian Para-Dressage Team.
Team Manager, Amie O’Shaughnessy also commented on the positive day. “It’s great to have the entire team here together in Normandy ready to compete in the Games. A big thank you for the incredible effort everyone has put in,” said Amie O’Shaughnessy, Canadian Para-Dressage Team Manager. “I am very proud of the team and how they are working together. Thank you also to our partners and our sponsors. We are really looking forward to competing.”
For a complete schedule of the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games 2014, as well as full information and results, visit www.normandy2014.com.
For a full list of Canadians competing at the Games, rider bios, and more, visit www.equinecanada.ca/cet.
Live broadcasts of the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games 2014 will be available for viewing at through FEI TV.
The FEI World Equestrian Games are held every four years, in the middle of the Olympic cycle. The inaugural Games were hosted in Stockholm (SWE) in 1990. Since then, the Games have been staged in The Hague (NED) in 1994, Rome (ITA) in 1998, Jerez (ESP) in 2002, Aachen (GER) in 2006, and Kentucky (USA) in 2010.