Ontario Equestrian administers education and training programs as well as evaluations for coaches to become nationally certified in our sport.
The Equestrian Instructor and Coach Certification program follows the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) guidelines established for all sports in Canada – sharing the knowledge and expertise of coaching excellence across the country and among sports.
National Coach Status Program
In 2020 Equestrian Canada (EC) introduced a national coach licensing system. For information on the standards and processes related to this system, please visit EC’s website.
If you have specific questions regarding how coach licensing may affect you, please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructor and Coach Certification
Instructor and coach certification is available through the Competition Coach and Competition Coach Specialist levels within the following disciplines: Eventing, Dressage, Hunter/Jumper and Reining.
Join the program to achieve your professional credentials as a Certified Equestrian Coach.
We also receive generous support from the Coaches Association of Ontario and the Coaching Association of Canada, who offer funding, mentoring and training opportunities to our organization and/or to coaches directly.
To learn more about our Coaching partners and shared principles go to:
C.H.A.R. is a new online digital platform for Instructor and Coach candidates to work self-paced through the training and evaluation process to get EC NCCP certified!
C.H.A.R. simplifies the learning process and is always up to date with the latest coaching information. You can access this service free with your Ontario Equestrian membership and experience the many benefits such as:
- Self-paced learning
- Access to virtual (video) evaluation
- Access to rubrics and resources
- Step-by-step walkthrough preparing for and completing coach certification
- Progress is tracked and recorded
- Accessible anytime online
Watch: An Introduction to C.H.A.R.
To gain access to C.H.A.R. or login into your account please click the link below.
Coach Education, Training and Certification
Training and Education is available online, through the ECampus and on-site with our Facility Partners. You can find all of our scheduled training opportunities in our events calendar.
Education and training opportunities include:
EC Concussion Awareness (mandatory in Ontario, free for OE members to complete)
EC Fostering Healthy Equestrian Environments (mandatory in Ontario, free for OE members to complete)
Equestrian Specific Training
- EC NCCP Long-Term Equestrian Development
- EC NCCP Plan an Equestrian Practice
- EC NCCP Design an Equestrian Sport Program
- EC NCCP Manage an Equestrian Sport Program
- EC NCCP Analyzing Equestrian Performance Clinic (Beginner and Competition Coach)
- OE Lunging Clinic
- OE Evaluation Day Preparation Clinic (Instructor and Coach)
Multi-Sport Training (through Coaches Association of Ontario)
- NCCP Make Ethical Decisions
- NCCP Teaching and Learning
- NCCP Basic Mental Skills
- NCCP Sport Nutrition
- NCCP Coaching and Leading Effectively
- NCCP Performance Planning
- NCCP Leading Drug-Free Sport
- NCCP Developing Athletic Abilities
- NCCP Managing Conflict
- NCCP Advanced Practice Planning
- NCCP Prevention and Recovery
- NCCP Psychology of Performance
Certification sessions are scheduled for Instructors and Coaches who have completed their pre-requisites and are ready to be evaluated. You can find all of our scheduled evaluations in our events calendar.
View the EC NCCP Instructor Cohort course details and application form HERE
View the EC NCCP Competition Coach Cohort course details and application form HERE
View the EC NCCP Competition Coach Specialist Cohort course details and application form HERE
The Coaching Association of Canada and its partners recognize the value of having certified NCCP Instructors and Coaches that are engaged in professional development programs that reinforce the values of lifelong learning and sharing within the coaching community.
In order for NCCP Instructors and Coaches to maintain their current certified status, they will be required to obtain Professional Development (PD) points. PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities in which Coaches already participate, including national and provincial sport organization conferences and workshops, e-learning modules, NCCP workshops, coach mentorship programs and active coaching. In most cases, Coaches are already earning their required PD points; maintenance of certification status is simply the introduction of tracking these points and recognizing Coaches for their efforts.
Maintenance of certification is essential to:
• Ensure Instructors and Coaches stay current with new coaching practices and knowledge;
• Maintain the integrity of the NCCP;
• Maintain consistency with the standards of other professions; and,
• Reinforce the values of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
Certification within the NCCP is valid for five (5) years beginning the next calendar year after the
date of certification. Maintenance of certification must be based on active coaching and professional
The following renewal requirements must be completed annually:
- Hold and maintain an annual EC Sport Licence and Coach Status
- Hold an annual PTSO membership (Ontario Equestrian)
- Maintain Active status in the ECampus and NCCP Locker by submitting required PD points to the ECampus and completing any required training.
Any required courses completed through the ECampus or NCCP Locker are awarded Professional Development points. Additional courses completed in multi-sport or Equestrian environments can be submitted to your ECampus account for additional Professional Development points. In a 5 year cycle, coaches must earn the following number of PD points:
|PD Points per 5 year cycle
|Competition Coach Specialist
|High Performance 1
Review the Professional Development Updating form to submit updating hours.
Safe Sport Resources
Coaches Association of Ontario in partnership with Hydro One: Safe Sport 101
The Coach of the Year Award
Each year we celebrate our coaches by selecting a Nationally Certified Coach of the Year. Coaches and Instructors are some of the most skilled and versatile people in the sport, and it’s a challenge to select only one worthy recipient.
The selected Coach of the Year will be announced on Monday, October 23, 2023, celebrated over Ontario Equestrian’s social media, have their name mounted on the Coach of the Year trophy, and be presented with a Director’s Chair to promote their accomplishment!
The Coach of the Year presentation will be held at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. The recipient will receive two tickets to an evening show and be celebrated in the main ring surrounded by their peers.
- Complete the Coach of the Year Nomination Form
- The nominee must be an active NCCP Certified Coach or Instructor
- The nominee and nominator must reside in Ontario and be a member of Ontario Equestrian
Nominate your certified Instructor or Coach: Begin Form
Deadline: Tuesday, October 17, 2023
National Coaches Week
- National Coaches Week information will be found at Coaching Association of Canada
Purchase Your Certified Coach Jacket
Celebrate your certification and promote yourself by wearing the NEW Ontario Equestrian Certified Coach jacket!
Only those who are certified coaches or instructors will be eligible to order this jacket, with a personalized name included in the price.
To purchase a Certified Coach Jacket, visit the OE e-store HERE
For a sizing chart or more information regarding the ordering process, please contact: email@example.com
Certified Coaching Insurance
Membership in your Provincial/Territorial Sport Organization (PTSO) enables you to apply for low cost broad coverage insurance for approved coaching, instruction or training activities. Click HERE